To help us improve fire safety awareness across our communities, we have a diverse team of volunteers that work alongside and support our members of staff.
Volunteering with us is an opportunity to:
- meet new people
- take on new challenges and experiences
- make a real contribution to the safety of communities in Tyne and Wear
Our volunteers come from a variety of backgrounds and bring a wide range of skills and experience to the organisation.
We welcome volunteers who are aged 18-108! All our volunteers are valued because they give their time and skills to help people.
Types of volunteer
- Community Volunteer
- Volunteer for the Deaf Community
- SafetyWorks! Volunteer
- Fire Cadet Instructor
Become a volunteer
- Fill in an expression of interest form and send it to our HR department.
- Chat over the phone with our Community Engagement Coordinator to discuss your application.
- Visit service headquarters for an interview.
- Complete a half day induction.
- Complete a SafetyWorks! induction.
Induction and training
- the volunteer role
- what is expected from volunteers
- what volunteers can expect from us
- information on health and safety and equality and diversity
Volunteers also receive a half day fire safety training session at SafetyWorks!, our interactive safety centre in Newcastle.
All volunteers are issued with:
- an ID badge
- navy polo shirt with badge identifying you as a Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service volunteer
- navy trousers
- black safety shoes
- black belt
Our Community Engagement Co-ordinator will be your main point of contact.
They will inform you of any available events and provide feedback on your chosen activities. They will also be available to discuss any problems or issues you may have.
You will be entitled to claim out of pocket expenses for travel incurred while carrying out your volunteer duties.
All volunteers are covered by our insurance policy while on any Fire Service property or engaged in any task on our behalf.
To ensure that you have adequate insurance cover, it’s important that you follow the guidelines of your role. The insurance policy will only cover volunteers if they adhere to their role and responsibilities.
Health and safety
Our health and safety policy covers volunteers as well as employees.
Equality and diversity
We value equality and diversity and have a policy which applies to paid staff and volunteers. Volunteers are expected to understand and commit to this policy.