Explosive Regulations

Firework display
Firework display

The Explosives Regulations 2014

The Explosives Regulations 2014 were produced to consolidate specific areas relating to the manufacture and storage of explosives and fireworks. The guidance replaced The Manufacture and Storage Regulations 2005.

Anyone who has duties under the safety provision of the Explosives Regulations 2014, particularly employers, private individuals and other people manufacturing explosives, storing larger quantities of explosives or storing explosives that present higher hazards.

If you wish to store fireworks, please see the link below to guidance on the  legislation and how it affects you:


All new applications or renewals for a licence to store fireworks can only be granted by the Licensing Authority once the premises have been subject to a satisfactory inspection by one of our Fire Safety Officers.

Click here to request an inspection.

One of our Fire Safety Officers will carry out an inspection within 28 days from your request. We will  asses the suitability of your premises for explosive storage (please see our storage guidance for further information).

If your premises is deemed suitable, we will provide you with an application form, so you can apply for a licence. Once this application is returned to our officers we will consult with our Enforcing Partners, such as Trading Standards, on the suitability of the applicant to store fireworks. This consultation period may take up to 21 consecutive days. Please allow plenty of time to ensure that this consultation period will not affect when you will receive your licence.

Firefighter with Policeman

For retailers and suppliers of fireworks

  • Fireworks can only be sold with a licence on the first day of Diwali (this year it falls on October 19th) and three days immediately before it; from 15 October to 10 November and 26 December to 31 December, as well as Chinese New Year and the three days immediately before the date.

  • An extra fireworks licence is required if you wish to sell fireworks at any other time.  Please contact us for details on how to obtain one.

  • You must obtain a licence to store fireworks.

  • You must store fireworks safely.

  • You must display a large notice reminding customers about the law on underage sales and possession.

  • You must not sell fireworks to anyone who is under 18 - even if they appear older (proof of age should be asked for).

  • You must not sell caps, cracker snaps, novelty matches, party poppers, serpents and throw downs to anyone under 16.

  • Boxes of fireworks must not be split and sold separately.

  • All fireworks for the public must be CE marked

  • If you don't follow these rules you could be fined £5,000 or imprisoned for 6 months.

  • All fireworks not intended for supply to the general public (category 4) must be marked to show this.

  • All category 3 fireworks (display fireworks) must not be more than 120 decibels.

  • Licensing authorities can ask to see information relating to transactions of fireworks exceeding 50kg of net explosive mass.



Full details of fees can be found at the following link.


Suppliers of adult fireworks must hold a licence.  Our Fire Authority grants these licences. A  licence will be refused unless the applicant follows all legal requirements for storing fireworks, and may refuse a  licence (or revoke a licence previously granted) if the applicant has committed any fireworks-related offence.

The licence allows the holder to supply fireworks on the first day of the Chinese New Year and three days immediately before it, on the first day of Diwali (October 19th) and three days immediately before it, from 15 October to 10 November and 26 December to 31 December.

Traders wishing to supply at any other time must apply for a separate annual licence to sell as well as the initial licence.


Firework suppliers must display a notice stating that it is a criminal offence to supply adult fireworks to those under the age of eighteen, and for people under eighteen to own adult fireworks.

Firework suppliers must provide a local licensing authority with information about fireworks where the total net explosive mass of fireworks supplied in a single sale is more than 50kg.